By Harlene Deane
This healthy and quick (about one hour from prep to table) chicken dish is one of my favorite “go to” recipes. Pick up the veggies at one of our local farmers markets or hit Dempsey’s Farm on your way home from the beach!
Grilled Chicken and Ratatouille
• 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
• 1 medium Japanese eggplant, halved lengthwise*
• 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
• 1 red onion, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-wide wedges (leave root ends intact)
• 2 medium tomatoes, halved crosswise
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
• 1/3 cup thinly sliced basil
• 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Prepare grill (medium-high heat). Place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle oil over and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Grill veggies until tender and slightly charred. Transfer to cutting board. Place chicken breasts in same large bowl. Turn to coat with any remaining oil in bowl. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken, covered, until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, coarsely chop veggies and transfer to another large bowl. Add basil and vinegar and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Slice chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; serve with ratatouille. Serves 6. Recipe can easily be cut in
half to serve 2-3 or use leftovers for a salad the next day.
*can’t find Japanese eggplant? Leave it out!! Enjoy!